Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Great Meal For A VERY Chilly Night!

It's been a bit since I've posted, I apologize for that. After my nieces Birthday Party things got very hectic around here, and at work, and I also came down with a severe case of Bronchitis! :( It was NOT fun, but thankfully the steroids, antibiotic and inhaler have helped to kick it out of me this time...hopefully for good! I'm glad to have the inhaler though, especially on these past frigid Michigan winter days, where the minute I step outside it takes my breath away.

I was tooling around on Pinterest the other day...I know BIG surprise...NOT!!! :) Anyway, I came across a recipe for Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup and thought, "I will have to make this soon." Well, soon has come! It is what this post is ALL about! Although, I have to admit that I didn't follow the recipe to a T, but instead kind of made it my own right off the bat. I will tell you where my add in's are and you can decide how you'd like to make it. How's that for fair? ;)

CREAMY CHICKEN POTATO (I added the Potato) GNOCCHI SOUP
INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Small Onion; chopped
2 Carrots; sliced thin (I used Baby Carrots as that's what I had in the house)
1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
2 Cloves Garlic; minced
3 Medium Potatoes; cubed (I added these to mine)
1/2 Small Bag of Frozen Corn (I added this as well) 
1/4 C. Flour
2 C. Half & Half
1 C. Milk
1 10.75 oz. Can Chicken Broth; PLUS 1 Can of Water
1 Lb. Gnocchi
3 Poached Chicken Breasts (Or the recipe says that you can use a rotisserie Chicken) (I cooked up 3 Chicken Breasts at 350 for an hour in the oven last night in preparation for this soup)

In a Dutch Oven or Large Pot, heat the Olive Oil over medium heat. Add in the Onions, Carrots, Thyme, Potatoes and Corn, cook until tender about 10-15 minutes. Add Garlic and cook for about 1 minute; until fragrant, stirring frequently. Add Flour and cook until the Flour just turns golden. Slowly whisk in Half & Half, Milk, Chicken Broth and Water. Bring to a boil; then reduce to a simmer. Stir in Gnocchi and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes, until Gnocchi is cooked through. Add Chicken and cook for about 2-3 minutes; until heated through. 

It's quick, it's easy and it's delicious! Give it a try, I would love to know what you think of it!

1 comment:

  1. We tried this, a first time for gnocchi, and really liked it :) I had to cut the gnocchi in half for the kiddos and they kept asking what it was . . . but they liked it. Yea Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete