Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sorry, I've Been MIA!

I have been properly repirmanded, my friends! Today, on Facebook, one of my friends who is also a loyal reader commented on my wall that it's been a week since I've posted....She told me that she reads my blog before she goes to bed at night and that I really needed to post again. I have been planning on posting all day today, so that was good timing! Thanks K. for keeping me on my toes!!! Sometimes I just need a little nudge....

It's really not that I haven't been cooking, it's more the fact that I've just been making some of the things that I have already posted. Well...that and it's now much warmer outside and when that happens we utilize our grill here A LOT more than we do in the winter/colder months. There is just something about food off the grill that just tastes so YUMMY!

I also became an Aunt again, for the 3rd time late last Saturday night! My brother and sister-in-law welcomed their 3rd baby! They are the parents of my two adorable nieces, and have now added and equally adorable baby boy!!! I went and visited him in the hospital on Sunday and got in a little snuggle time...can't wait until I get to hold him again! He is SO stinkin' cute...yes, yes, I know that I might just be a tad bit biased...but I don't care!!!! He was born 2 days before his big sisters 5th Birthday, and he and Mommy were able to return home on Monday to help her celebrate. Aunt Melissa offered to make her a Birthday Cake, seeing as how both Mom & Dad had been busy and this might help them not have to be too busy with Birthday preparations. I made the Strawberry Cake that I previously posted...and I sprayed on some bright PINK frosting for good measure. I also made some Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce for them...just like our Gramma makes. I can't believe that F. is 5 already...she needs to quit growing so fast! I really enjoy spending time with her and W. and laughing, playing and having a good time. I wouldn't trade being an Aunt for ANYTHING in the world...especially when they tell me..."I love you to the stars and back!"

Tonight is no exception for using the grill. I went to the Big-Top Market just up the street from our house and bought some tasty Brats. This store is known for them. They hand-make a variety of different flavors. My favorite is the Pineapple Brat!

Here are the tasty characters in tonights supper:
The two on the left are: Jalapeno/Cheddar--In the middle: Pineapple--Two on the Right are Loaded Baked Potato

We will also be enjoying some Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce. I called my Gramma B. (My Mom's Mother) up about a month ago and asked her for this recipe. We L O V E Rhubarb over here and I'm always looking for new things to do with it. Just tasting this treat again reminds me of my childhood. When we would visit my Grandparents house, Gramma would always send some of this home with our family. I'm so happy to be able to make it on my own now. Thanks Gramma!

STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB SAUCE
The great thing about this recipe is you can make a large or a small batch. Just scale back the ingredients for a smaller batch.

INGREDIENTS:

8 C. Rhubarb; washed and sliced
1 1/4 C. Sugar
1 Large Container Frozen Strawberries (thawed)
1 Box (6 oz) Strawberry Jello

Put enough water in the bottom of a stock-pot to just cover the bottom of pot. Place Rhubarb in pot and cook on stove-top until the Rhubarb resembles mush. Stir in the sugar (add more to desired taste...but not too much as Jello adds sweetness). Add the Frozen Strawberries and stir. Add the Jello and stir. Allow to cool completely before refrigerating. (If you like it a little more runny, use less Jello. Mine is a medium thickness)

Here's how mine turned out:

So, I apologize for being MIA, but I hope that this post makes up for it a little bit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment