Monday, February 25, 2013

A Great Night For Soup!

I found this recipe on Pinterest...I know, how shocking! Anyway, I immediately saw ways that I was going to adjust it to make it my own. For one, it had no meat in it what-so-ever, for you vegetarians that's a good thing and you could omit the meat that I added in and have a healthy vegetarian supper!

SPEEDY CHICKEN & CHEESE TORTELLINI SOUP
INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Large Carrots; peeled & chopped (I used a whole small bag of baby carrots)
2 Celery Stalks; chopped (I bought a small bag of sticks and used them all)
3/4 C. Sweet Onion; chopped
2 Large Cloves of Garlic; chopped (I used minced)
1 tsp. Thyme
1 (15 oz.) Can of Diced Tomatoes & Juice (I used the kind that has Basil & Oregano in it)
4 C. Vegetable Broth
10 oz. Cheese Tortellini
2 C. Cooked Chicken (I used the cubes from Tyson that are already cooked)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Parmesan Cheese

In a large pan heat the Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Add the Carrots and Celery and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the Onion and cook for about 5 more minutes. Then add the Garlic and cook for about another minute. Toss in the Thyme, Tomatoes and Vegetable Broth; bring to a boil. Add the Chicken (If using), and Tortellini and cook according to directions on the Tortellini. Season with Salt & Pepper and Parmesan Cheese if desired.

I always serve rolls whenever I make soup, as I like to have something to dip in the broth. Give this recipe a try, I would love to know what you think! I'm thinking that you could also do this one in the Crock-pot...I would probably cook up the Tortellini after I got home as it doesn't take that long to cook, but would put all the other ingredients in the Crock-Pot on low for about 8 hours and it would be done when you got home from work or wherever. Just a thought...I'm going to try it that way the next time. Although, it only took about 30 minutes or so to do it on the Stove-top, so that's not bad either! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment