Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Are You Seeing A Theme Here?

I was looking through my posts lately, and comparing my menu plan for this week and I had to ask the brother if he saw the theme in my plans lately. He promptly replied, "Chicken, but I don't mind." Today is no exception...Sorry!

Today's menu included Slow-Cooker Chicken Stroganoff & Herbed Biscuits...along with leftover Sweet Potato Casserole. It was a mighty tasty meal, if I do say so myself.

SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN STROGANOFF:

Here are the items you will need:

INGREDIENTS:
4 Bonless Chicken Breast; cubed
1/8 C. Margarine
1 (.7 ounce) Package Dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1 (8 oz) Package Cream Cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 (1 lb.) Package Egg Noodles; cooked per directions

Put chicken, margarine and dressing mix in slow cooker; mix together and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Add cream cheese and soup, mix together and cook on high for another 1/2 hour or until heated through and warm. Serve over egg noodles.

HERBED BISCUITS:

What's needed:
INGREDIENTS:

1 (12 ounce) Package Refrigerated Buttermilk Biscuits
1/2 C. Butter; melted
1 1/2 tsp. Dried Parsley (I didn't have, so I omitted)
1 1/2 tsp. Dried Dill Weed
1/4 tsp. Dried Minced Onion

In a medium bowl, blend melted butter with the dried parsley, dill weed, and onion flakes. Cut buttermilk biscuits into quarters. Roll each biscuit quarter in herb butter. Place in 8 inch cake pan, with pieces touching. Pour remaining butter over biscuits. Bake in a 425 oven for 12 minutes. Serve warm.

***I didn't cut the biscuits, I used them as they were and they turned out fine.***

After coming out of the oven:
They smelled so good! Here's what I had for dinner tonight!:


I noticed that we had some bananas on our counter that were at the point they were turning, and the only thing you can really do with them is bake something. Normally when this happens I make Banana-Chocolate Chip Loaf, but today the brother asked me if I would mind finding another recipe that I could make with them. Something new and different. I told him that I would look. I bought these bananas solely for him, as I have a severe Latex Allergy, and since bananas come from the rubber plant my system can only handle about a 1/2 of a banana every few days. Even then, I still break out in a little bit of a rash, but not so bad that I would complain about it...I still LOVE bananas. So, I scoured the internet today and I found a recipe for some Banana Cookies on the blog Simply Recipes. I decided to give them a go! They smell FABULOUS!!!

BANANA COOKIES

What you will need:

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 C. Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 C. Sugar
1 Egg, room temperature
1 C. Mashed Bananas
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 C. Flour
Pinch of Salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
1 C Pecans (walnuts and chocolate chips are fine alternatives)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. In a bowl, mix the mashed bananas and baking soda. Let sit for 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which in turn will give the cookies their lift and rise. Mix the banana mixture into the butter mixture. Mix together the flour, salt, and spices and sift into the butter and banana mixture and mix until just combined. Fold into the batter the pecans or chocolate chips if using. Drop in dollops onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.

Here are a few of the finished product:

I'm sure that once J. gets home from bowling with his Cadets from church, he will enjoy some of these! As I said earlier, they smell AMAZING! I think it's the combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves! They were super easy to make as well, I hope that you will give them a try.

2 comments:

  1. I am so totally going to put this entire meal on my list for next week. Looks so good and so easy and something the girls will definately eat. I got the washclothes in the mail today. We are already using them. Thanks! It was so cool to get a package in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what we are having for dinner tonight? Boring chicken......But now I have a couple of ideas to spice things up! Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete