Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This Is What Was Cooking In My Kitchen Today!

Today this sister was spacing out a bit...but it all turned out alright! I totally forgot that the brother J. had to go and fulfill his Cadet Counselor duties at the Pinewood Derby tonight. Good thing that my plans for dinner were something quick and easy! Whew!!!!!

A while ago I saw an awesome idea for a Menu Board that my friend E. had made for her house! I thought that this was an ingenious idea and I asked her if she would make one with me. She, of course, said that she would be more than happy to do that. Since we haven't coordinated schedules yet to do this, I made a makeshift one to hang in my kitchen until I replace it with the new one.

Here it is:

I just used stickers on the scrapbook paper, and then put it in an extra picture frame that I had in the house. Using Dry-Erase Markers to write on the glass works marvelously!!!! When I have the other one done (I will use this frame as well), I will post a picture of it! Thanks E. for the GREAT idea!!!!

Now, on to today's menu. We enjoyed a very delicious dinner at our house tonight.

15-MINUTE HERBED CHICKEN

Some items you will need:

INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
4 Chicken Breasts; boneless, skinless
1 (10.75 ounce) Can Condensed Cream of Chicken with Herbs Soup (I used regular Cream of Chicken Soup and added my own dry seasonings)
1/2 cup milk
Rice

Heat oil in skillet. Add chicken and cook until browned. Add soup and milk. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 5 minutes or until done. Serve over rice.

We needed a side dish to go along with this.  While on the phone with my Mom this weekend she asked me to post the recipe for this particular side dish. I had to laugh, and told her that it was already on my Menu Board for this weeks meals, so it would definitely be posted this week!

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE:

Items you will need:
Is it sad that the side dish requires more items than the main course? I think it's kind of funny!

INGREDIENTS:
1 (40 ounce) Can Cut Sweet Potatoes, undrained
1 C. Sugar
2 Eggs
1/3 C. Butter
1/3 C. Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla

TOPPING: 
1 C. Packed Brown Sugar
1 C Chopped Pecans
1/3 C. Flour
1/3 C. Butter; melted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a square baking pan. Place the sweet potatoes and their liquid in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, drain, and mash. In a medium bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, 1/3 cup butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish.
In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, chopped pecans, flour, and 1/3 cup melted butter. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture. Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

The sweet potatoes when added with all the other ingredients will be runny/watery, but will firm up when baking.

Ready for the oven:
Who would've thought that canned sweet potatoes could be so good! I have made this dish with regular sweet potatos from the produce section at the grocery store. I just took 3 medium sweet potatoes and baked them in a 350 oven until tender, then took the skin off and mashed and followed recipe accordinglt from there. But, really once you add all of the other ingredients you really cannot tell that these potatoes are from a can! Oh, the beauty of it all!

Here's what's for dinner:

I must say that the Rosemary Herb seasoning I used on the chicken was GREAT!  J. even made a comment about how much he enjoyed dinner tonight! Score one for the sister!!! That makes me very happy! I spent less than 40 minutes in the kitchen to prepare this meal, and I don't think that's too bad at all.

I would like to thank everyone for the comments that you all leave here, as well as all of you that have either commented on Facebook or come up to me in church to let me know you like what I've been posting. I have had several comments that my meal ideas have helped some of you come up with some new ideas, and that you've tried some of them and loved them! That puts a smile on this girls face! :-) I'm so glad that I can be of assistance, that was my hope and point in starting this blog. (Thanks for the nudge cousin J.!) Thank you all so much for the reassurance that it really was a good idea! I'm having so much fun posting, and I'm glad that you all are reading and using some of my ideas. THANK YOU BUNCHES

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE that sweet potato casserole (it looks similar to the one I have)! You do have great meal ideas and like I said, doable--not crazy with the ingredients and prep time. Love it! Maybe next week we can hook up for the menu board?!?!

    ReplyDelete