Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Lazy Sunday

This morning I woke up with a terrible migraine, and I just crawled back under the covers and went back to sleep. I was bummed that I missed church, but figured that if it was better by the afternoon I would be able to attend this evening. I am happy to say that the headache is at a dull roar and that I was able to go to church tonight, and even to hang out with friends after for a bit! I'm home now and relaxing before I go to bed. Have to be up early in the morning to take care of the little ones at the BSF Leaders meeting.

We had a very easy lunch today of premade Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts, but in my defense I did make the side dish to go along with it.

AWESOME BROCCOLI-CHEESE CASSEROLE

Here is what you will need:
INGREDIENTS:
1 (10.75 ounce) Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 C. Mayonnaise
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 C. Onion, finely chopped
3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
8 oz. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 pinches paprika

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together condensed cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, egg and onion. Place frozen broccoli into a very large mixing bowl. Break up the frozen broccoli. Using a rubber spatula, scrape soup-mayonnaise mixture on top of broccoli, and mix well. Sprinkle on cheese and mix well. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish, and smooth top of casserole. Season to taste with salt, pepper and paprika. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour in the preheated oven.

This is the yummy dish after baking:
It really was delicious!

So since I really wanted to go and hang out with friends after church I had to come up with something to take along. I needed to do this even if I didn't go, because J. would have went without me, and he would need something to contribute. Ironically after I had already made this dessert I saw on a friends Facebook Page that it is National Coconut Tart Day!

COCONUT-LIME TART

The cast:


INGREDIENTS:
1 Bag Sweetened Flake Coconut (about 5 1/3 Cups)
2 Eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. Sugar

FILLING: (This is a Pampered Chef Recipe---So if you don't have some of these items I will give you some substitution ideas)
1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip
4 oz. Cream Cheese; softened
1/3 C. Powdered Sugar
1/2 C. Coconut Lime Sauce; divided
1 Lime
***NOTE*** You could subsitute Lime Juice from an extra Lime squeezed for the Sauce.

Prehat oven to 375. Spray torte pan with cooking spray. Cut out a circle of Parchment Paper to fit center of tart pan. For the crust set aside 1 Cup of the coconut. Place the rest in a microwave safe bowl and heat on High for 3-5 minutes, stirring every minute for the first 3 minutes, then every 30 seconds for the remaining until coconut is golden brown. Combine toasted coconut, reserved coconut, eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix well.
Spoon mixture into tart pan, spread crust evenly. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edge is slightly crisp. Remove pan from oven. Invert crust onto Cooling Rack or serving plate. (I put the plate on the tart pan and then flipped it.) Cool for 5 minutes.
Put 1 C. Cool Whip in plastic bag and set aside. For filling combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1/3 C. sauce (or Lime Juice), whisk until smooth. Add remaining Cool Whip and mix until stiff. Slice the lime into 6 slices; slice each piece in half.
Spread filling over crust; spreading evenly. Trim corner of bag with Cool Whip and squirt dollops around outside edge. Garnish with Lime pieces. (If you have the sauce you can drizzle it over the cake) Refrigerate before serving.

Here are a few views of the finished product:

Isn't it pretty?

This was a HUGE hit tonight! I also brought along some of the cinnamon bread with a little honey butter and that was GONE!! There were only a few pieces of the tart left to take home, the bro was happy to have some left! ;-) This really is an easy recipe to make despite the steps! I will definitely make it again.

Don't forget to scroll down the the It's My Birthday & I'll Party If I Want To post for a chance at a GiveAway!

No comments:

Post a Comment