Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pork...It's What's For Dinner!

I have been wanting to make a good roast for a while now, but just never really got around to doing it. That is, until TODAY!!!! I came across this recipe and it sounded so good and easy to me, that I just had to give it a try!

You can make this recipe either in the oven or in the crock-pot. I chose to use my crock-pot, but I will tell you how to do it both ways, so that you can choose for yourselves how you want to make this!

APPLE & SPICE PORK ROAST

The cast of characters:
INGREDIENTS:
1 (4 Lb.) boneless pork roast
1 C Applesauce
1/3 C. Packed Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Vinegar
1 tsp. Yellow Mustard
1/8 tsp. Ground Cloves
1 Tbsp. Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Sugar
1/8 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp. Ground Black Pepper

The Sauce:

***NOTE*** I doubled the Applesauce, Brown Sugar, Vinegar, Mustard, Cloves, Flour, Salt, Sugar, Garlic Powder, & Pepper since I made it in the Crock-Pot. I also added 1 C. of Apple Juice to the crock-pot for cooking. As you can see from the picture, I also added chunks of potatoes and some baby carrots! YUM

OVEN VERSION:
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together applesauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and cloves in small bowl; refrigerate half of the applesauce mixture and set aside remaining applesauce mixture. Combine flour, salt, sugar, garlic powder and pepper in another small bowl. Rub flour mixture evenly over entire surface of pork. Place pork on rack in shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, until internal temperature is 140 degrees F. Spoon reserved applesauce mixture over roast. Roast 1 to 1 1/2 hours total cooking time (about 18-20 minutes per pound). Transfer roast to serving platter; cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Heat chilled applesauce mixture in small saucepan until boiling; boil for 1 minute. Spoon heated applesauce mixture over pork slices.

CROCK-POT VERSION:
Follow the above directions for sauce and rub. Place roast in Crock-Pot, add in potatoes and carrots if desired. Pour ALL of the applesauce mixture over the top. Pour in about 1 C. of Apple Juice and turn to low for 7-8 hours.

This really was a very fast and easy meal to make! Not to mention, very tasty! I hope that you will give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment