Friday, April 1, 2011

A Scrumptious Treat!

So, I ask, is there anyone out there that doesn't LOVE caramel? I could eat it day and night...sure my hips and backside really don't need for me to do that, but I really could if forced to. You really wouldn't be forcing me though! haha I came across this recipe from another blog that I follow: StrawBerry Cake and thought that I just HAD to give it a try!

The bro, J. is not such a big fan of popcorn and asked me if I thought I could do some roasted almonds with this. I told him that I would give it a try! They look like they turned out pretty well, but I only had them in the oven for 30 of the 45 minutes in this recipe.

CARAMEL CORN

18-20 cups Popped Popcorn
2 cups Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Corn Syrup (light or dark)
1 cup Butter
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

1. Pop popcorn place in large roasting pan.  (I pop my popcorn the old fashioned way with an air popper or on the stove top, I have never used microwave popcorn for this recipe.)

2. In medium sauce pan place butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.  Cook until butter melts and starts to boil.  Give caramel a good whisk to get all the lumps out.  Let boil for 1-2 minutes.

3. Remove caramel from heat, add 1 teaspoon baking soda and stir, stir, stir, until caramel foams up, almost to top of pan.  

4. Pour warm caramel over popcorn, fold slightly.  Bake in preheated, 250 degree, oven for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and stir around, try to bring the caramel from bottom of pan up over popcorn.  Return pan to oven and repeat this last step 2 more times.  Total time baked 45 minutes.
5. Cover counter top with parchment paper.  Remove Caramel Corn from oven and dump on to paper try to break up any large lumps of Caramel Corn.


Try not to just sit at the table or the counter and eat it all in one sitting/standing!!! It is THAT good! I only used about 2 1/2 Cups of Popcorn so that I wouldn't have a TON of this in the house!

2 comments:

  1. you just made me drool . . . now I'm craving caramel corn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom and I would make this all the time!! Memories!

    ReplyDelete