Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Promised Post!

I was so very excited yesterday to find a VERY small stash of Rhubarb at the local grocery store, and I just HAD to pick up a few stalks to make some yummy pie! I will also be making a few other things as soon as I am able to find a bunch more of this yummy, tart goodness!!!!

I decided to bake a pie last night, and the great thing is that my parents will be coming over for supper tonight and I will share some of this with them as well!

STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB CRUMB PIE

The ever so wonderful cast:
INGREDIENTS:
1 Egg
1 C. Sugar
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 Lb. Fresh Rhubarb; cut into 1 inch pieces
1 Pint Fresh Strawberries; halved
1 (9-inch) Pie Shell; unbaked
TOPPING:
3/4 C. Flour
1/2 C. Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Quick-Cooking Oats or Rolled Oats
1/2 C. Cold Butter

In a large mixing bowl, beat Egg. Add the Sugar, Flour and Vanilla; mix well. Gently fold in Rhubarb and Strawberries. Pour into pastry shell. For topping, combine Flour, Brown Sugar, and Oats in a small bowl; cut in Butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.

Before the oven:

It was so hard to let this cool before cutting into it! I HAD to try a piece last night, and it was still slightly warm and OH SO GOOD!!!!!! I can't wait to make another one of these!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment