Saturday, April 30, 2011

So Happy For Rhubarb!

I am so thrilled that Rhubarb season runs from April to September here in Michigan! I LOVE Rhubarb and really haven't done much with it in past years. I will be changing that this season around!!!!

Today with the help of a young man from our church we cleaned up our yard and cut out the thick, hard roots from around the tree in the middle of the yard. This the area that I plant flowers and last year they didn't do so well, so I killed everything in the flower bed and will start over this year! I went to a local Nursery and was able to get some great deals on a few flowers...I ended up with a flat of VERY colorful Pansies and a few other flowers. I will post pictures of them all soon! I decided to let my new flowers just sit on the porch for the time being, that way if we do get frost yet I am able to take them into the house. I'm itching to plant them though.

So, after all the yard work and errands were ran today, I spent the rest of the day baking and cooking! I made some very yummy bread today and I want to share the recipe with you! I was even nice and brought the second loaf over to my brother and sister-in-laws house for them to enjoy! ;-)

RHUBARB BREAD

INGREDIENTS:
1 C. Milk
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 C. Brown Sugar
2/3 C. Oil
1 Egg
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 C. Chopped Rhubarb
1/2 C. Chopped Walnuts
TOPPING:
1/4 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tbsp. Butter; melted
***NOTE*** I also added about 1 1/2 tsp. of Cinnamon to the batter to give it a little more taste.

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease 2 9x5 loaf pans. In a small bowl stir together Milk, Lemon Juice, and Vanilla; let stand for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 C. Brown Sugar, Oil and Egg. Combine the Flour, Salt and Baking Soda, stir into Sugar mixture alternately with the Milk Mixture just until combined. Fold in the Rhubarb and nuts. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 C. Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Butter. Sprinkle this mixture over the unbaked loaves. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes OR until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.

This smelled absolutely AMAZING while it was baking! The loaves are very moist and the bread has a great texture. I hope that you'll give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment