Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Reminiscent Of My Das Essenhaus Working Days!

I was over visiting with the retired Pastor & his wife who were involved in a head-on collision with a drunk driver at the beginning of March (they attend my church, & I've been helping them out since they came home from the hospital at the end of March), and Pastor G. made mention that he misses the Chocolate Cream Pie from Das Essenhaus since they haven't been able to go because of the extent of their injuries. I told them that once upon a time I used to work there...WAY back when I was in High School, and that I have many of their 'famous' pie recipes! So, this got me thinking, I should really make them a pie and surprise them with it...I knew that it would make their day. I didn't use the exact recipe from the Essenhuas, but one that I think is much better, believe it or not! There's really not much to the imagination of what's in the Cream Pie from there....:-)

Yesterday I set out on this adventure and made the pie and let it set in my fridge, and then after we went with my parents (who are in town for a conference for my Dad) for supper I went and brought this yumminess to them! I wish that I could've taken a picture of their faces when I walked in with it. They were GLOWING and SO SO happy, and of course surprised! It's nice to spoil others once in a while!

I thought that I would share the recipe with all of you as well!

CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE

The wonderful cast:

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 C. Sugar
1/3 C. Flour
2 C. Milk
2 (1 oz. each) Squares Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
3 Egg Yolks
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 (9-inch) Pie Shell; baked

Combine Sugar, Flour, Milk & Chopped Chocolate in 2 Quart saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Mix a little of the hot mixture into the Egg Yolks (this is called tempering), beating rapidly to avoid cooking the yolks. Stir the warm yolk mixture into the remainder of the chocolate mixture, and cook for an additional 90 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in Butter and Vanilla. Pour filling into pie shell, and chill to set. Top with Whipped Topping and Grated Chocolate; if desired.

The finished product:
I can't wait to hear how this tasted! Their Home Health Aide gave me a hard time about bringing it over when she is about to leave and won't be back for several days! Sorry D.!!!! This really was an easy recipe to make and I hope that you will give it a try!

COMING SOON: A recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie that you won't want to miss! I'm SO EXCITED that I recently found some Rhubarb at the grocery store. I have a few Rhubarb related recipes that I will be sharing with all of you!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are so sweet! And YUM!! That looks delicious! SV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the recipe for their strawberry pie?

    ReplyDelete